The content of this blog is the creator's own thoughts and does not represent the views or opinions of the Peace Corps or the United States Government. I would also like to apologize for all my spelling and grammatical errors... there will be a lot.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

First Site Visit (part 2)

Very early on in PST Peace Corps wants you to know what you are getting into. So they have designed things called site visits which involve actually staying with a current PCV and living with them for a few days. We were lucky enough to go stay with Maria and Marshal who were fantastic. We stayed in the Eastern Providence in a little village called Jacob (pronounced Jah-co-bo). It was a real eye opener to stay in a village. Everyday we got water from a borehole, used a braiser to cook, bucket bathed, and of course became good friends with the pit latrine.

We also got to go look at the schools we could be working in, there is a lot of work to be done in the rural schools and we attracted a lot of attention from the school kids. Some members of our group took part in the slaughtering of a chicken for dinner, I watched from far away and ate my vegetables. I'm happy to say its been very easy to be a vegetarian in this country.

I'm very happy that Peace Corps has things like this established in the program, it really helps you be able to visualize your life in Africa for the next 2 years. Staying there was a privilege and it made me even more excited to enter my own village.

No comments: